Friday 30 August 2013

You want me to pay how much for glitter?

I'll pass.

First off let me say I have no problem getting high end polishes.  I have quite a few, and I love them all.  But when I get more expensive brands they have to have a little something more to them.  They need to give me a reason to want to pay that much for them.  Dior has these new limited edition sparkling powders available through their website and Nordstrom.  The pack contains a fixing base, as well as black and gold glitter.  It comes to a total of $48USD.  Now I love Dior.  One of my favourite polishes I own is Dior, but as pretty as this looks, I could not pay that much for what essentially clear polish and loose glitter.

I had a 1.5oz bottle of Martha Stewart glitter in Onyx.  A sparkling black glitter I had been sitting on for almost 2 years.  I think I paid $5 for it at the time.  Used my essence Black is Back and just dumped the glitter on top of the wet polish(over a piece of paper).  I used a nail art brush to easily get rid of the excess.  When I was done I carefully poured the glitter back in the jar.  And while application was messy(and I'm assuming more messy than the Dior one because you apply those with brushes), I was easy to clean up.  It was super pretty, especially in person.  It would be great for a fun, yet more classy night out.  The only thing I would do differently next time would be to put the glitter over a layer of topcoat.  In the end Ii may not be EXACTLY the same, but it's good enough for me!

You can get a bottle of the Martha Stewart glitter on Amazon, and I'm sure you can find it in any craft store that sells Martha Stewart craft products.

Any thoughts out there?

 Outdoors(cloudy)


12 comments:

  1. I love this post. I don't really care what people spend their money on, but still I can't see the point in buying something just because it has a certain name written on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! And I totally agree with you, there's no reason that a kit including a simple polish and a jar of loose glitter should cost that much, especially when it's known to all that these things are not worth that amount.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree!!! This look is great and no need to spend big bucks on something you can get at a craft store for just a couple dollars :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purchased that Dior set not realizing it was some BS. I exchanged it for two polishes. I think what you did in this mani looks 10x better than what that set would have looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I call that getting swindled and pimped." :) Great post. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. why pay $50 when you already have the same thing for a tenth of the price? I would have passed on dior also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, yes, sometimes we really are cheated, that's for sure - it's annoying....

    ReplyDelete
  8. this came out incredibly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, $48 is just too much... I like your "home made" Dior manicure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah that's just....for people with too much money.
    i have that same martha stewart glitter ive had for probably the same amount of time and thats the route i would take as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would definitely pass on the Dior... $48 is way too steep for me. The Martha Stewart glitter is awesome for just a fraction of the cost. It looks so pretty and sparkly on you! :D

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Franken! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments as much as we like bacon! And we LOVE bacon! But if you want us to check you out please go to the contact us tab up top and feel free to send us a message. Please don't SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...